Monday, January 31, 2011

Brace yourself

Those of my readers who enjoy coherent thought processes and reasonably sensible points that deserve to be heard may want to leave the internet for the present time, because this post is being attempted without any theme or organizing idea. I know--you thought that's what I did every time. Ohhhhhoooo no, friends, those posts are the result of HOURS of concept-mapping and an elaborately colored thought-blocking methodology. I bleed into my keyboard to come up with those pithy nuggets. MY FINGERS BLEED ELOQUENCE, DAMMIT.

This post, not so much.

Things have been very much same old, same old in the last week. I am still in Scotland. I am still underwhelmed by the intellectual offerings of this semester. I am still beset by the pedant king. I did get my grades back and will not be required to return early and sans diploma, which is reassuring in a way that contemplating trying to get a job with a masters in intellectual history is not ("And tell us, Ms. Hart, how are you qualified for this normal person job?" "Well sir, I can trace the development of natural law from its conception in 17th century German theology through to the late skepticism of Hume's philosophical solipsism." FAIL). So...mixed blessing?

I spend a lot of my time wishing away the next couple months. By the time April comes around, it should be warmer, and lighter, and I'll be engaged in writing my essays and thinking about my dissertation, which remains intimidatingly nebulous. Now that I understand just how unimportant my classes are for anything except bettering myself and expanding my mind (but the grade-whoring! What about the grade-whoring?!), I find myself doing more sleeping than reading, and filling in the blanks with whatever shit action movie happens to be on BBC iplayer. Also, Point Break? Classy film.

The Bella and Edward of yore. YORE, damn it.

What I seem to be suggesting is that grad school is making me dumber. This is concerning. Well lucky for me, I came home a leetle bit tipsy from my post-pedant tipple, and promptly emailed a favored professor asking him to meet with me and shoulder some of the responsibility for choosing my life path. If that's not a good way to solve all of my problems, well I don't know what is.

This might not be a good way to solve all of my problems.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen Point Break, so I Googled it to try to figure out who would be Bella and who would be Edward. The plot synopsis I found? "An FBI agent goes undercover to catch a gang of bank robbers who may be surfers." .....they MAY be surfers? Isn't it easier to look at a group of people and tell that they're surfers than that they're bank robbers? Wouldn't they be all wet and tan and sandy? And, oh, I don't know, have SURFBOARDS? Or, maybe I'm thinking about this wrong. Does the movie start in an empty bank vault, and the only clues are traces of sand and the faint smell of coconut oil? If that's the case, then I can see how the bank robbers may or may not be surfers, 'cause they could also be beach volleyball players, or seashell collectors or something.

    Um...I forgot what I was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you actually want to know why the FBI suspects surfers? Because one of the bank robbers moons the surveillance camera and has a hell of a tan line. So naturally the FBI is like, "Hmm...blatant disrespect for authority, plus advanced skin cancer? SURFERS!" But to be fair, the FBI consists of Keanu Reeves, Gary Busey and that mean guy from "Scrubs," so I guess what I'm saying is we shouldn't be so hard on them, they do the best they can. Also, seashell collectors don't rob banks; they hook for conches and smack.

    ReplyDelete