Thursday, January 20, 2011

Perhaps in this, as in all things, I should lower my expectations.

Okay, so, look--I'm not proud of my recent negligence on the blog front. I don't have any excuses, except perhaps that I don't have any exciting or interesting news, and I seem to remember vowing to blog no more forever until I had something to say. Clearly, though, I need to set my sights on lower expectations--blogging less, about less important things. Boy, that sounds like a great way to gain readers, doesn't it?

I think part of the problem is that I have reached a comfort level here where I know the city, I know my classes, I feel reasonably certain that I know what I'm doing on a day-to-day basis and, really, there is no story in that. On the other hand, I could not feel less certain at any given moment that I have made the right choices, am in the right place, doing the right thing for a future that is still undecided. So I spend my time vacillating between smug stagnancy and manic, gut-wrenching insecurity, and by the time I settle back into a relative indifference during which I'm capable of even writing anything down, I feel fairly certain that no one wants to hear it.

Part of the reason for my unease is that I have yet to receive any feedback about my work last semester, and it's a little hard to put together a five-year plan when you have no clue about what avenues are going to be opened or closed to you. I would really like to talk to a few of my professors about what directions I should pursue in terms of PhD programs or career choices, but I'm reluctant to walk into an office feeling all, "Well, of course, Haavahhd," only to find out that my options are more IHOP. Not knowing how I've been doing is making it a little difficult to get started up again, and I'm doing too much sleeping and not enough reading (part of that is not entirely my fault, I would like to point out, as making a good-faith effort to do my law reading ends, inevitably, in sleeping. It's like textual tsetse). All in all, I spend a good percentage of my time feeling sleepy and underinformed. Great.

What I need is a boost. Short of a) getting back amazing marks or b) cocaine, I'm at a bit of a loss. Suggestions?

Please don't give up on me, gentle readers! If nothing else, Burns Night is coming up, and there will be all sorts of haggisy shenanigans to address!

1 comment: