Thursday, February 10, 2011

The sun came out tomorrow

While not entirely ready to abandon my tone of hopeless pessimism, as that would only confuse my friends and family and lead to suspicions of a traumatic head injury, I am ready to admit that this week has been rather...good.

Today especially was heartening--opening my shrunken, mole-blind eyes this morning, what did I behold but the SUN, Phoebus' orb, sending forth its rays over the good people of Edinburgh.


As such a weather event is unlikely to recur for some time, I decided to take full advantage, and spent the morning exploring Calton Hill. The site is lovely, but honestly, I could have walked happily through a landfill, so long as the sun was shining.



















On a less literal front, my life has been lighted and lightened this week by the deposal of the Pedant King! Through the machinations of a group of dedicated plotters, this scholastic scoundrel has been driven from Clio's hallowed halls. No more shall learning be boxed in by the confines of a narrow mind; no more soaring thoughts be lightly judged (as an aside, I've been reading Wordsworth and Scott this week and really can't be held accountable for my overblown language. I'm simply STEEPED in it. And I like it). What really happened is that a friend of mine, she of the cream sauces, made a formal complaint to the school, which was not unaware of the issues, and as a result, my classmates and I will no longer be forced to sit through lectures that pose as seminars, listening to unsophisticated dogmatism that is disguised as academic inquiry. My small part in this revolution, and my personal friendship with its principle sans culotte, has earned the two of us a nickname of which I am (perhaps inordinately) quite proud: we are, quoth a favored Professah, the Axis of Contempt.

Which makes me think of this:


I'm the one on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment