Monday, February 7, 2011

Uhmerica's game

Guess what yesterday was?! If you said Super Bowl Sunday...well, then you're an idiot. I live in Scotland now. It was just Sunday here, and a cold and wet one at that.

HOWEVER. What I have learned in the course of my studies, as well as in various conversations with people from different cultures and societies, is that being an American gives me not just the right, but the duty to inflict my peculiar beliefs and pastimes on other countries. Thus, SUPER BOWL SUNDAY REIGNS IN SCOTLAND!

Or at least, we did the best we could. The flatmate and I participated in the traditional eating of the snack foods:

What else do you need in life? Maybe ice cream...

It's classy because we have straws.

QUESOOOOOOO
We then engaged in the half-hearted picking of the teams. She went Green Bay, because...dairy products? I'm not sure what the reasoning was, we drank a lot of tequila. I went with whichever team didn't run the ball like a bunch of girls (aka, Pittsburgh for the first seven minutes of play, then switched over to Green Bay. Fair-weather-fan me and die).

A pub near the university was showing the game, and offering £2,50 Coors Light. The decision at that point is clear...teetotaler. Nah, I'm joshing. It's Coors. Tap the Rockies, man. Or whatever.

The best picture I could surreptitiously get because, really, what kind of weirdo takes pictures in a bar?

Frost-brewed cat piss. Rocky Mountain high, indeed.

We only stayed until the beginning of the second quarter, because I had class the next day and because...well, to  be honest it was a little depressing watching a football games surrounded by people who were really just there to make a point: America! Fuck yeah! Pass the Coors, the mountains are blue! Also, I'd spent the morning reading about the concussion debate in the NFL, so I couldn't help wondering how many of these gridiron heroes would be wearing diapers made of yesterday's newspapers someday...

Three heads are better than one? Only if each head has 1/3 its brain function

Still, a shadow of a slice of home. And not just because of the diapers. Also because of the Velveeta.

No comments:

Post a Comment