Thursday, December 2, 2010

Okay, the excitement is beginning to wear off

Today is the seventh straight dayof snow here in Edinburgh. I'm not as tired of it as some people, since I can walk to class, the market (though there's nothing left to buy there), the pub, etc. I am so eternally thankful that I brought my ginormous hiking boots here with me, for all that they cost me 10% of my 50lb baggage limit. Still, this wasn't how I expected to be using them, tromping through piles and piles of snow.

According to my flatmate, I look like Seabiscuit, the legendarily awkwardly shaped racehorse, when I wear these. Spectacular.

But while I, unlike many of my fellow Edinburghers, am still mobile, I am getting a bit tired of having bits of ice blown into my face every time I leave the house, and of it taking twice as long to go half as far outside. More than anything, I am amazed that it is still snowing...I've lived through worse storms in terms of total snowfall (yes, I was there for the Blizzard of '96), but I've never been in a situation where it has snowed so consistently, for so long. It's like Norway up in here! On a related note, Scotland's ex pat Scandinavians have been INSUFFERABLE over the last few days, tossing their long blond hair over their broad straight shoulders, showing pearly white teeth in tan faces as they vault over our puny snow drifts. Bite me, Frigga.

Still, it is very beautiful, though the more trafficked routes have become that lovely shade of slush brown; Crayola should introduce that in a crayon. My walk to school continues to put me in mind of Narnia.

The other night, the temperature rose a bit and this amazing fog came up...eerie.

The Meadows on my way to class.

Even when it stops snowing, this is what the sky looks like...no bueno.

I'm just worried about being able to get back to the States, and before you tell me I'm being ridiculous, consider: it has been snowing for a SOLID WEEK, it shows no signs of letting up, and Scotland is not getting any better at dealing with this stuff. Yesterday, I saw the owner of the market across the street using table salt on his sidewalk. Um, no. So I think it is with good reason that I'm concerned about getting out of here three weeks from now. I mean, good god, these people don't own shovels! I've seen more people using dust pans to dig out their cars than I care to think about; the airport doesn't even have a plow. Oy.

Dear readers, please send help. Whether its rock salt, actual snow shovels, prayers, warm thoughts or warm drinks, Scotland and your intrepid blogger desperately need you.


Update: For the love of sweet baby Jesus, WHY WON'T IT STOP????


No comments:

Post a Comment