Sunday, October 10, 2010

Casperella

This weekend was all about food. Literally. Following my consumerist debacle on Friday, I haven't left my room except to eat at others' expense. Incidentally, the title of this post comes by way of an Irish lass I've met here..."Casperella" is what she's named her phantom food baby. It seemed appropriate.


Friday morning actually began with my first full British breakfast. The flatmate and I went to Jenner's, a department store on Princes Street, to partake. I love Jenner's. It is chockablock with old ladies.

The doormen wear kilts.
 
So about breakfast...the Scots, they likes their meat. You know how in diners in the States, menus list "Bacon, sausage, ham, steak" and you're supposed to choose one to have with your meal? Well, here the list is "Bacon, sausage, cumberland sausage, black pudding" and you don't choose. Also, full breakfast typically includes half a tomato and one dessicated mushroom cap. I have no idea why. Still, it was pretty damn good.

Black pudding = better than it looks

Then Friday night, ye olde Friendshipe Friday, was hosted by the group's resident Canadian, and she made a full traditional spread in honor of Canadian Thanksgiving. I was never able to get a clear understanding of what Canadian Thanksgiving is supposed to commemorate, since it certainly isn't Puritan/Indian relations (we own that shit, yo). Harvest, maybe?

Whatever, it was DELICIOUS. She couldn't find a turkey so she made three chickens, and then we also had mashed potatoes (which apparently contained milk, butter and cream cheese, making them without a doubt the best mashed tatties I've ever had), gravy, stuffing with chorizo and mushrooms, parmesan greenbean casserole, cranberry sauce and rhubarb pie (the pie was supposed to come with cointreau whipped cream, but apparently the liquor caused the cream to curdle, so basically we had alcoholic buttered pie. This is in no way meant as a derogatory statement). And since everyone who attended brought a bottle of wine and the evening's entertainment consisted of popular Canadian bands ranging from Celine Dion to Avril Lavigne, a good time was had by all.

Nom.

Of course, the pressure is ON for American Thanksgiving to kick Canadian Thanksgiving's ass in a month. Given that it's America and Canada, this should not be difficult. Up high!

Saturday was another flat dinner and my Palestinian flatmate's turn to cook. She made some type of meatball and vegetable dish, a great salad, and dolmas. Then we had cake, because it was my other flatmate's birthday. Then more people came over and we had more cake and jello shots. Then...I don't really remember what happened after that.

First course

Second course

Third course...floor.
And I spent the entire day on Sunday in my room, reading for class. Well, "reading." Well, thinking about reading. Or...napping. Still, I may have come up with an idea for a paper and/or dissertation! I'm sure I'll be subjecting you all to it shortly, but for now I'm keeping it all wrapped up inside. Get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment