Tuesday, October 12, 2010

L'anniversaire

Today is my one-month anniversary in Scotland! I realized it last night while desperately avoiding finishing Robinson Crusoe, and this seemed like a momentous feat. To celebrate, I decided, I would make a Scottish meal.

Because I don't really know anything about Scotland other than the most blatant stereotypes, that's what I went with. I trundled over to the grocery this morning and picked up a haggis. I had a choice between MacSween's brand, for £2,87 or MacKilney's, for 99p. I think haggis may be one of those things where the price is actually an indication of the quality. Like a diamond. I went with MacSween's.

I also picked up some IrnBru, which is the national (non-alcoholic) drink. It's ostensibly orange soda, but they must only be referring to the color, because it tastes like tutti-frutti bubblegum.

Then the flatmate and I made tatties (potatoes), eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes, Well, she made those things. I made the haggis. Want to know how you make a haggis? The important thing to note, and which is noted IN LARGE BOLD FONT ALL OVER THE WRAPPER is that the haggis is actually already cooked and you just have to heat it. So I boiled my haggis. On the hob. It kinda looked like a bomb.

And, finally, dinner was served:




Happy one-month anniversary, Scotland, and I'll raise my tutti-frutti glass in a toast for many happy days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment