Sunday, October 24, 2010

A good day

One of the problems with keeping a blog is that I have to do things worth writing about. This is troublesome because my life consists of reading, reading and more reading, with the occasional perusal or gloss thrown in. And as much fun as it is to read about people reading...it's not fun at all.

When I woke up this morning, I realized that it had been fifty hours since I last left my building. Fifty. Um, that is like one jeweled turban away from Gray Gardens.


So I decided to take a few hours, leave my reading behind (which wasn't that difficult, since I'm supposed to be reading his royal detestedness, Alexander Pope) and--gasp!--leave my room.

It was great! I love the wider world! I had the girliest, swirliest afternoon, full of lollipops and unicorns.

Ahem. Sorry.

First I went to a store called "I Love Candy". Yup. And boy, do they ever. This place was great, all pink and white and sugary smelling and probably a little sticky everywhere, but I kept my gloves on so that I wouldn't get sticky and...I'm back to Gray Gardens again. Anyway, good times. I didn't buy anything because I'm po', but I thought a lot about what I would get if I could. And the girl behind the register was clearly thinking about what she would say to me if I stayed in her shop any longer without buying something, so I left.

Then I went and tried on fancy dresses. Everyone has their New Year's Eve stuff out, because apparently it's a big deal here, and all the dresses were so sparkly and sequiney, and full of ruffles and I...just lost my last male reader. Anyway, it's a good thing my friends and family are avowedly casual in everything they do, because if even the remotest hint of a fancy party had been available to me, I would have bought me a pretty, and my food budget really can't be slashed any closer to the bone (literally).

And then I went to Starbucks with my Lee family Starbucks card and ate a cookie and had a flat white. Are they making these in the States yet? They are ALL THE RAGE in Scotland, and they are DAMN good. Yay for sugar and caffeine!

And then I came home and was getting myself all grumped up to get back to my reading and make my stupid, nasty canned soup dinner, and JUST LOOK WHAT SHOWED UP ON MY DOORSTEP--


Pizza Hut! A spectacularly generous soul from home (who may or may not have been forced to listen to me complain about how terrible my life is for the last few weeks) ordered me dinner! Kind benefactor, your magnanimity will never be forgotten. Look what a real meal it made!

The sprouts are for my mother's sake.

So, all in all a great day. Doesn't get me any closer to not failing out of grad school but...one step at a time here, people.

Oh! I almost forgot. I need a Halloween costume and I would LOOOOOVE to take suggestions so that I don't have to put any thought into it myself. So, if there's something you've always wanted to be but were too afraid of social disapproval to do it...now's your chance to vicariously live the dream!

2 comments:

  1. What the F? You go to a candy store and don't take pictures? I hope you can feel my look of disapproval from here.

    As for Halloween...I think you should totally go as that that woman from Grey Gardens. I'm pretty sure you could nail that facial expression (in fact, I seem to recall that's how you used to look at me pretty much all the time. Oh, how I miss the scorn!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD, I should totally go as Grey Gardens. Shit, how long would it take to find a full-length fur coat? God I wish Kendra were around

    ReplyDelete