Thursday, September 16, 2010

Brief hosannas

So, yesterday's post ended rather abruptly because I couldn't figure out how to make that last picture do what I wanted and I got frustrated and gave up. I am confident that I have found the stupidest way possible to upload pictures to this thing, and so while I have every intention of going out today and taking pictures of the town (now that I've addresed my "critically low" camera battery), I cannot promise that you will be able to see them, or that the accompanying text won't be full of bitter, bitter swearing.

But that's not the point of this post. The point, as the title is supposed to suggest, is a quick look at the things in Scotland that I have enjoyed thus far (as most of my entries are just extended rants and complaints, I thought it would be good to switch things up a bit).

What I like about Scotland:
- Scottish accents. In particular, I like the babies and toddlers who speak with the wee brogues (that might be an Irish term. Fuck it). I don't care how adorable your baby is; if it doesn't speak with a teeny, tiny British accent, it's ugly inside and I hate it.

- Scottish dairy products. Oh heavenly mercy, I have found the dairy mecca and Wisconsin can just suck an egg. I am currently drinking a cup of instant coffee made absolutely sublime by a heavy dose of Scottish double cream, which I found in the grocery store while looking for half and half. Perhaps this is where the phrase "don't do anything by halves" was invented, because I've found skim milk and double cream and nothing in the middle. This is fine by me. Also, Scottish butter = heaven in a pat.

- Scottish architecture. I don't know, it's probably not uniquely Scottish (Georgian, or something) but it's beautiful. And also...not beautiful. Filthy, discolored and dark, it's this terrifically double-edged style. Very masculine. The color of the stone makes everything feel like a giant sandcastle town or something, a very ornate, miniature town that I happen to have found myself living in. I don't know, I can't describe it. Pictures to come.

- Bacon rolls. I have not had these yet, but I like the sound of them.

- The use of the word "cheers" for every conceivable occasion. Usually people say it as goodbye, I guess, but my program director inserts it everywhere in his conversation. This may be the part of the local language that I most want to adopt, and the one that will make me sound the most fake and pretentious if I use it at home. Sigh.

That may be it for now. So far things are still worse rather than better, but I feel confident that I'll be adding to the list soon. Look out for pictures to come...

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You didn't sound like you want to die for an entire post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send me a bacon roll please, with a pat of Scottish butter. -Amanda

    ReplyDelete