Saturday, September 25, 2010

More requests from afar

Aside from this morning's parcel adventures, didn't really have much planned for the day. So I decided to take a run down the list of requested activities people are sending me.

Activity #1: Finding the dollhouse my mother remembers from 1967

Apparently when my mother came to Edinburgh as a child, she went to a museum and saw a giant dollhouse that was so detailed it had another dollhouse inside it, and it blew her kiddish mind. She's been asking me if I can find that dollhouse again and the answer is...maybe. I went to the Museum of Childhood today, which was full of kids (duh, right? Well, I didn't anticipate it) and stressful. They did have a whole exhibit case about dollhouses, and some were quite large, and I looked in every room of each little tiny house, but I couldn't find a micro dollhouse. However, the biggest, coolest-looking dollhouse was closed, and so I suspect, if I was in the right place, that was the one. Sorry Mom, I did what I could.

BUT.

I did find what has to be the creepiest museum exhibit of all time, an exhibit that will haunt my dreams forever. It was at the top of the building, and when I got up there I was all alone. It was a dark room filled with life-size dioramas of children in period costume. The mannequins were...terrifying, it was dark and they were piping in simultaneously music box tunes and a recording of schoolkids repeating the times tables by rote. I have never been so frightened.

Dead eyes.

Activity #2: Scottish tablet.

This culinary creation request comes via my old roommate, who I believe may have made it a personal goal to learn about every single candy ever made or marketed. Good onya, girl. She sent me an article about Scottish tablet, a very sweet, very creamy kind of traditional fudge. Well. They are NOT KIDDING about it being sweet. I found some in a department store and broke off a piece, and the closest thing I can compare it to is candy corn, but the texture is much smoother, and makes you worry about it getting stuck to your teeth. Because if that happens, it's over. Cavity city. I...don't think tablet will become a regular thing.

Sugar like whoa.

So, thanks to my mother and my old roommate for managing to give me lifelong nightmares and a mouthful of rotting teeth, in the same day. Good looking out, guys. No, I'm kidding, it was fun to track this stuff down and I'd like to do more, so please, dear readers, send stuff my way. It's like those "Choose your own adventure books" only with more complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment