Monday, September 27, 2010

Edumacation

Class today was really good. I mean, I managed to make a complete fool of myself every time I attempted to participate in discussion, coming off as some kind of deranged, illucid, ultra-privileged wannabe Zapatista, and also managed to mortally insult one of my professors, but aside from that, really, really good.

Thought-provoking, you know, thoughts being something that I haven't provoked (one of the few things?) for some time now. So even though I didn't seem capable of managing to connect the tips of my fingers, let alone serious intellectual thoughts, I took some very impressive notes. I even drew arrows.

Yeah. Arrows. I own this bitch.

All kidding aside, it's really, really exciting to be back in an academic setting. I still entertain COPIOUS doubts about my ability to actually be a contributing member of this world, but I feel very happy to be a part of it, however long it lasts. Which...if I continue to come off as an idiot in discussions and to insult my professors...may not be very long.



Thought for the day:
The American Revolution was not about taxation or representation. Rather, the war for independence was the result of American sulking after being excluded from the English social scene. So our proudest moment was actually a giant, militarized temper tantrum. This...makes too much sense to completely ignore.

4 comments:

  1. Do you REALLY have to date your notes in the pompous, European style? I don't know you anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured I better get used to it, since they use your DOB as ID around here. BUT I don't say crisps or chips when I mean chips or fries. And I don't say lift. Or boot. Because all of that is like frogs dropping from these American lips.

    Does that make it better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's better. Mostly because your analogy made me imagine that scene in Harry Potter when Ron pukes up the slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wasn't the literary allusion I was going for, but...it's really hard to top puked slugs.

    ReplyDelete