Thursday, September 9, 2010

Philadelphia

I'm writing this from my old bedroom, home for the next thirty hours in Philadelphia. I can't believe I am going to be spending the next year of my life sleeping in a twin bed. God, was I happy to say goodbye to that particular aspect of my youth. And now it's back.

I've been wondering what happened to the day; I don't seem to remember much of it. That probably means that the flights were uneventful. I know I slept for a while, woke up crying and spent the next forty minutes blowing my nose into the bag that had held my complimentary peanuts. I think I may have scarred for life the woman sitting next to me. In addition to fighting back tears (or...not bothering to fight them back, but wishing I had as I directed streams of snot into a cellophane baggie) I was also beset by an intense and, unfortunately, insupportable craving for chicken nuggets. So much so that I made my dad detour to the nearest McDonald's upon landing and then proceeded to inhale those divine little nuggets in the time it took us to get back on the freeway. It's a good thing they are already kinda esophagus-shaped.

Really, all I thought about today was the boy and chicken nuggets. I wonder if that might result in some kind of Pavlovian association. Maybe for the rest of my life I shall weep into my nuggets. Which on balance is better than snotting a peanut bag.

I just thought about it and, aside from my physical location, this post has nothing to do with Philadelphia. It should be titled "Crybaby" or "Fast Food Inhalation" or "Ways in Which I Am Disgusting." Maybe I can post an actual Philly entry tomorrow; apparently there is a shindig planned in my honor/involving me. It'll be fun to see my high school friends before I go. Too bad there's no getting to be got.

I need to go cry again.

No comments:

Post a Comment